Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is a Service Animal?
A: A Service Animal is defined by the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) as:
dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities
Examples of such work or tasks include:
- guiding people who are blind
- alerting people who are deaf
- pulling a wheelchair
- alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure
- reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications
- medication retrieval
- calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack
- triggering emergency response device
- other duties including but not limited to: basic memory tasks (find/retrieve keys, wallet, phone, car, home)
Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.
Q: Do I qualify for a Service Animal?
A: This answer is a bit complicated, the best best it to check state and federal law. Both Colorado and Federal law refer to the ADA guidelines in reference to Service Animals and Disibility. If you have a disability under ADA guidelines(Disability means, with respect to an individual, a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities of such individual; a record of such an impairment; or being regarded as having such an impairment.) You may qualify for a service Dog.
*In Co, False representation of a Service Animal is a Class 3 misdemeanor.
Guardian Service Dogs is dedicated providing quality one-on-one Service Dog Training and Certification to Disabled Veterans (civilians also accepted)
Contact us today to Schedule an Evaluation:
Guardian Service Dogs offers quality training that meets or exceeds all Laws and regulations in accordance with the A.D.A and Guardian Service Dogs Minimum Standards for Service Dog Certification.
Copyright © 2018 Guardian Service Dogs. All Rights Reserved